Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Warned Off

Today I just have to vent.

When I ask someone a question, and they give me an answer, I never say, "Oh no, don't do that!"

Because you know what? First of all, it's not my life, it's THEIR life.

If they choose an adventure that I would never ever in a million years choose,
even if the statistics of them succeeding in their venture is minimal,
or if it seems foolhardy...EVEN if it's my own adult child, I would never laugh about their perceived stupidity or tell them with facial gestures and so many words that they are doing a dumb thing.

Most everyone with whom we've shared our farmhouse journey has been supportive, encouraging, excited and have even offered help.

But when you are about to leave your home of 10+ years, where your babies turned into adults, where stitches and broken bones happened, where laughter and tears were in abundance...a home you have LOVED and enjoyed, a home that it breaks your heart to leave...you don't really need to hear that "your kids are going to be sad", or "I can't believe you're moving so fast, how are your kids going to feel when you move when they've barely graduated?"

I would never say that to someone!

I would assume that moving away from your home would be a hugely emotional thing for the whole family, and I wouldn't ever try to inject a little more gloom into the equation.

This is a wonderful opportunity, but it's going to be difficult. I hesitate to say that, knowing that even my most "difficult" circumstances are leagues above what most people in this world experience. Even if my farmhouse never has running water, I will have more than most. So I feel lucky and grateful for this opportunity.

Also, we do know what we're getting into (since you so kindly asked). My husband Matt is an experienced jack-of-all-trades, and a huge "do-er". He also understands what he is capable of and what he is not capable of. Nothing that he has built has ever fallen apart because he takes more care (and uses more cement) and does more research and works harder than any person I know.

We understand that this house is not just a fun little DIY project fueled by Pinterest boards and multiple trips to Lowes. This is a major reconstruction, which we expect will be followed by more major and minor projects that will "surprise" us for many years to come. It so happens that Matt revels in that scenario. He is unique.

So when you ask, "Where are you moving?" and I say, "We bought a farmhouse--" please don't interrupt with your head thrown back in laughter and say, "Oh please don't...please don't do the farmhouse thing," as if we have reached some middle age crisis and lost all of our marbles and are flushing our money down the drain in the process.

I think what we're doing is fantastic. Yes we are Doing The Farmhouse Thing and we are gonna rock it. Matt's gonna rock it. I'm gonna walk around trying to find ways to help. We're gonna get in fights and look at each other in bewilderment, and raise our fists in celebration when things work, and buck each other up when they don't. Please don't rain on my parade.

Love peace and joy!!  I feel better.

7 comments:

  1. If it helps, i have NO doubt that you're going to rock this. Jeff and I renovated a house and, if we can do it - you certainly can! Matt has a ton of expertise! AND it turned out to be a great way to have family-together-time and have our kids learn new skills that they would never have learned otherwise. Its a good thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, party poopers are a bummer!! I had a version this recently with a friend telling Jon that we shouldn't use cloth diapers, that it was too much work (we only use them when we're at home; we use disposables when we're "out and about," so it's not even full-time cloth diapering). I want to say "don't rain on my parade!" Haha, I like your comparison to naming a baby, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha people always feel like they need to share their opinions! I loved cloth diapers on Michael and we did the same thing, used those expensive disposables for our out-and-about times. We lived in Florida during his diaper phase, and I had a first-floor laundry - I'd keep some "solution" in the washer and just toss those diapers in there as they were used so they'd soak, then I'd just rinse and wash it felt easy!

      Delete
    2. Oh my word, I do the exact same thing with tossing the diapers in the washer! We are also lucky to have a first-floor laundry. I feel like, why not, we only have one baby to deal with, and it saves a lot of money!

      Delete