Saturday, May 20, 2017

Roof Progress

This afternoon James and I are working concessions out at the track, and Beth is running a race on it at some point. There's a huge day-long invitational at the high school, and when it's her turn to run I can dash out of the concessions stand to watch her. 

Okay well I don't know how impressive these photos will be, but here is where we are so far:

The old roof is torn off, and you can see the new materials waiting to be put on!



They are working to complete the entire original portion (two story) part of the house and the kitchen (the one story) and leaving the garage/breezeway for last. This is great because the main house is where the leak was, and that is now water-tight. Below are a few rows of shingles being put on!



And more shingles....

Do you see the line that runs horizontal along the shingles in the middle? That is the way they are venting the roof. There are square vents that they could put on in order to allow air to flow through, but they are sort of ugly. Here is the vent on the other side of the same portion of the house (kitchen). In one side and out the other!


The funny part of having the new roof is that it makes the siding look so bad in comparison! Before it was just an old house, and sort of charming in its oldness. Now it is really changing!

The sad news is that the tree we righted blew over in a windstorm on Thursday. Actually, Matt is sad about it because it really was a nice tree, but after seeing it upright, I realized that it completely blocks the view of the house from the road, so I wasn't sure. Without high winds, the tree could have had time to reestablish its roots, but the 37 mile/hour winds were too much for it so we are giving that up. Firewood anyone? Bring your own log-splitter!  

2 comments:

  1. I remember those track meets; the waiting around always made me feel anxious, but it was still fun to hang out with my teammates all day. I hope Beth had fun!

    Your new roof looks SOOO good! It makes such a huge difference! You are right that it makes a pretty stark contrast to the siding now! But I'm sure that all in good time, it will all look awesome :)

    That is sad about the poor old Leaning Tower of Treesa! Do you have a fireplace in the new house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No fireplace (yet) - I'd like one, and we've talked about a wall inside the kitchen/eat-in area that might work, but that will be in the future :) Thanks, Matt just sent me some more pix so I'll try to get those up soon!

    ReplyDelete