Monday, May 1, 2017

Often we don't realize that we're neck-deep into an adventure until we are neck-deep. And then it seems almost futile to try to document anything, because you just have to keep swimming most of the time in order not to drown. This blog is my attempt to take a few moments here and there for treading water, holding a pen and note-pad above my head while I kick furiously and write at the same time. Perfect prose is not my expectation. A blot here and there when my pen leaks, watermarks when a wave hits or an unexplained absence when I am completely submerged are going to be the hallmarks of my writing style during this our grand adventure.

We bought a farmhouse. Last Monday.

We didn't tell very many people ahead of time, because we didn't really want advice from anybody but the inspector, the real estate agents and the multiple contractors that we asked.

We figured it's kind of like naming your baby. If you tell everyone the name before the baby is born, they feel free to give you their opinion, which is fine unless they don't like it. Then you're left feeling as if...why did they say "oh dear, that's a mouthful" unless they expect you to change your mind now that you know they disapprove? But if you announce the name AFTER the baby is born it's a done deal, nobody has any choice but to shout, "Hildegaard is the most beautiful name I've ever heard let me hold that baby!" So we waited and sort of sprung it on people, hoping for a positive response.

So it's not really like naming your baby. People feel free to raise eyebrows or laugh or say, "good luck with THAT" even if you wait until it's a done deal to say, "we bought a farmhouse!". But then others have been so excited for us, saying that they'd always wanted to do something like that, and that we have such an adventure ahead of us.

I will fill in the blanks of why and where and how we did this as we go along, but for now here is the important stuff:

This is a 1908 farmhouse in eastern Jackson county, Michigan on 4.96 acres. The roof needs to be completely replaced (and it is raining, and has been raining for weeks, and there is a major leak), all of the windows need to be replaced, the siding needs to be repaired and repainted, the single bathroom needs to be completely gutted, the electricity does not work (a main has to be replaced and connected and grounded and...), the water is not running currently, the propane tank is empty and the cherry on top is that there isn't very good internet service available.

Here's a photo of our current home where we raised four babies and that we are selling, and will miss so very much because it is the best house ever:

Here is our farmhouse, front and back:


We are so excited/scared/thrilled/nauseous/anxious and absolutely happy.


6 comments:

  1. I am so excited to keep up with this blog, even though I will be living it all in real-time as well. I like when I can read about experiences I know in your words :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay good! I'll probably call you and say everything that I was gonna say in a post haha

      Delete
  2. This is going to be amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm soooo excited for you! Thanks for keeping a blog, too! I love watching house transformations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly! I'm afraid this will be lots of posts at first and then it will slow down after we run out of house money, but we're in it for the long haul!

      Delete